Saturday, July 23, 2011

Something's coming soon

I've been having this feeling lately that God is about to move in a big way in my life. I have no clue what that's going to look like just yet, but I just have this unsettled feeling that something is coming. I mentioned this at the beginning of July, but the feeling keeps getting stronger.

I feel like God is challenging me to step out of my comfort zone in two areas: leadership and volunteering. It all started last spring when I was in my first small group from church, and the leader contacted me one day and wanted to meet. She said she really saw leadership potential in me, and ever since then I've been reading a couple blogs on leadership. Chris and I even signed up for the Newspring Leadership Conference that is happening in September. Just recently Chris discovered the book Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman, and we both ended up reading it. He has decided to start an eGroup about this book, and I'm excited about this starting up. Even though he's the official leader, as his wife I will definitely have some part in leading the group.

Concerning volunteering, I have been on the greeting team at Elevation since last March. This position is somewhat challenging for me, because even though I like to smile and be welcoming, I'm also an introvert and therefore naturally quiet. However, a few months ago David McGuirk was standing at the Next Level table, and we started talking (he was a part of my Starting Point group when I accepted Christ in 2009). He told me that I should consider volunteering on the Next Level team, and at the time I was very intimidated by the idea. My biggest fear is that I will not know what to say, especially when it comes time to pray with the person who has just received Christ. However, the thought has been resurfacing recently. I am making sure that this is from God and not just me feeling bored with where I'm currently serving.

I was reading a devotional a few days ago, and the main scripture for that day was Joshua 1:1-9. These verses have been speaking to me about both of these situations, along with my life in general. I've always said that I'm happy being someone's assistant and handling the details, and I'd rather someone else be the face to present the information. Joshua 1:1 challenged me on this, where Joshua was called "Moses' assistant." God appointed an assistant to be a leader...and a leader of a very big movement, at that. Then God promises this in verses 5 and 9: "I will not fail you or abandon you...be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

The devotional says this (the writer was talking about public speaking): "I spent time in prayer...I prepared by reviewing the training material and practicing my presentation. I went into the traning trusting in God." So, here are the main action points summed up:

1) Pray
2) Prepare
3) Practice
4) Trust God

I am praying for God to make it clear to me on what I need to do concerning volunteering. I feel like the Next Level area would be a huge challenge, but I get excited when I hear about salvations and life change. God has changed my life so much in the past 2 years and this is just the beginning.

1 comment: