Wednesday, July 6, 2011

It's been a while

I haven't updated in a long time, but I've been struggling with something for the past few months and I feel like I should share my thoughts here.

I've been a temp at my job for over a year now, and although I know they're working on getting me approved to be hired, the decision makers at the corporate office of the company are taking their time on saying 'yes'. Meanwhile, I've watched as all but two of the temps brought in after me were hired, plus the emails coming through about new hires at other locations. My positive attitude that I was keeping up at the beginning just came crashing to the ground with each passing month. I know God is going to put me where I need to be, I'm just getting more anxious as the time passes. I received some encouragement from a preacher that works with me, and I know permanent employment is coming. In the middle of my struggle, I asked God to change my perspective on my job, and then I just let the words flow on paper. Here's what came out:

It's more than just sitting at a computer working on spreadsheets. I get to use my computer skills to help other people complete their projects and reports. My strong point is working in computer programs to find and organize information, while their strong point is to analyze the information and take action based on what they find.

It is more than just bringing coffee to the breakroom every morning. It is a chance to brighten someone's day and encourage the production teams. The more I smile at people (even if I don't feel like it at first), the more joyful I feel, which makes me smile even more.

It's more than just shipping samples in the absence of someone else. It is the opportunity to give them the peace of mind that the most urgent portion of their job is getting done while they are on vacation. They know that they will not have to come back to a week's work of requests to fill.

And finally...greeting is more than just smiling and saying 'hello' and 'welcome'. It's welcoming  people into a place where God will ultimately change their life, if they let Him.

I feel like something is going to happen soon. I feel a sense of unrest (but it's a positive unrest) that God is about to take hold of some aspect of our lives. We've signed up to go to the Newspring Leadership Conference this year, and I really feel like God is going to do something in us as a result. I am ready for what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment