Saturday, August 28, 2010

Days 9 through 14

Day 9

Genesis 9: I love how rainbows are a sign of God's promise to Noah that He will never again send a flood to destroy the earth (verse 11). I can't imagine there being a time where rain didn't exist.

Psalm 9: Verse 9 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. LOVE this verse.

Joshua 9: Verse 14 The men of Israel sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the Lord. This is where Joshua signs a treaty with the Gibeonites, who were deceiving them in order to be allowed to live. It reminded me that I should ask God for guidance before making any important decisions.

Acts 9: Saul's conversion is one of my favorite passages to read. Verse 20 At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. I love how there was no hesitation. No "I'm not sure I'm qualified, I'm new at this" moment. It's pretty convicting to me; how I feel afraid to talk much about my faith because I'm afraid I don't know enough.

Day 10

Matthew 10: Verse 37 hits close to home with me, Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. The way I take this message in my life is that I had to disappoint my mom by leaving the church she raised me in so I could find my own way.

Romans 10: Verse 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Day 11

Acts 11: Verse 29 The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea.  We can all help people in need, and it will not always be the same way that other people can help. Everyone has their own thing they are strong in.

Proverbs 11: Verse 10 reminds me of what is going on with Elevation. When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices. As our church grows, I pray that we can change the city of Charlotte, make life better here.

Day 12

Romans 12: Verse 12 is my life verse, Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

1 Timothy 4: Verse 12: Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Day 13

Matthew 13: Verses 44-46 remind us that we must be willing to give up everything to follow Christ and get into the kingdom of Heaven. Verse 44: The kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Genesis 13:  I love how Abram showed humility and let Lot choose the land that he wanted, which Lot chose the land that he could see. In turn, Abram was promised much more by God.

Day 14

Matthew 14: Twice in this chapter Jesus seeked solitude with God. He did not worry that the boat was moving away from the land. This passage challeneged me to start making more time for being alone with God. It seems like I'm always putting it off until late at night, because I always feel like I need to be somewhere,  when I could really spare even 10 minutes and just read and focus on one chapter. I feel that I am at my best right before going to bed, because the house is quiet and there are no interruptions, but I need to make sure that I have enough time to read and still get plenty of sleep.

1 Timothy: Verses 6-8 are powerful. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. In the world we live in, it seems hard to be content with just the necessary things. We're so used to our cars and houses and air conditioning and technology, we would have a very hard time with just being content with food and clothes, at least at the very beginning.


There are two things on my mind since I've started this reading plan. One, Isaiah really confuses me. I hardly ever understand what he means by what he says. Two, Job really does complain a lot. Reba McEntire has a song where one of the lines is, "Love takes the patience of Job," and I'm just wondering exactly how he is displaying patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment