Thursday, August 19, 2010

Do not worry

My thoughts on Days 6-8

Matthew 6- This chapter is filled with a lot of good stuff, but the part I always come back to is verses 25-34, where Jesus is teaching us not to worry about our lives. This is such a challenge for me, because I get bothered so easily when I see my bank account getting lower. I'm not even at the stage of being broke, but I like having my "safety net" amount in my account. Which leads me to feeling convicted every time because what it boils down to is I'm putting my faith in the dollar amount in my account instead of in my God who will take care of me. Verse 33 says But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. He was speaking of the basic necessities in life: food, clothing, etc. I feel like I need to read this chapter on a daily basis.

Day 7

Matthew 7: Verse 7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  A guy at work told me about something that happened just a few days ago that was a perfect example of this verse. He and this other guy had been struggling in shipping for over an hour to get a trailer moved, but it was stuck on an incline in a way that the wheels couldn't get over the small hump. He finally sincerely asked God to move the trailer, because their own human efforts could not move it. Then they tried one more time, and the trailer moved without a problem! It was like it had never been stuck. This reminded me that I can ask God for help in any situation, even in one I think I have complete control over.

Day 8

Job 8: Verse 7 Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be. Everything has such a small beginning, and it is hard to believe it will ever grow into something big, but following God's will gives you a brighter future that you could never imagine.

Romans 8:  This is a big one that Pastor preached on for 4 weeks. Such an amazing chapter in scripture. Verse 18: I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. There is no way to even imagine what God has in store for us. Verse 26 the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. I have felt sometimes while praying for something or somebody that I just didn't know the words to use. Instead, I just let a lot of emotions flow through me. And finally, verse 31, If God is for us, who can be against us? One of my favorite verses in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment